Developing your Educational Philosophy Statement
Everything you need to know about writing one. For Home Educators, School Teachers and Tertiary Academics!
In today's busy world of education, preparing for teaching, applying for promotion in academia, or even for home school registration, one thing educators are often required to complete is their Educational or Teaching Philosophy Statement.
HELP! How do I write that? Where do I start? These are questions I frequently get asked.
In this short course, based on the popular face-to-face workshops I deliver, I take you through the what, where, when, how and why of writing your beliefs about teaching and learning!
The course covers the following:
- Why you should write an Educational Philosophy Statement!When you should write one
- What an Educational or Teaching Philosophy Statement is
- The influence of where you practice on your beliefs.
- How do you put it all together?
The course is broken up into several smaller steps, and should take no more than 2 hours to complete. There are short videos to watch, some readings and activities are included, to help you consider and reflect on what you think about teaching and learning, no matter where you work as an educator.
A BONUS workbook provides you with ample spaces to write your own notes, as I take you through the material. And of course, areas for reflection and responding, and taking your first steps to writing your Educational Philosophy Statement.
On completion, you will walk away with a sound understanding of an Educational Philosophy Statement, have begun to think about what your beliefs are about teaching and learning, and have started to put it all together. Yet, as you will soon learn – this is only the start of what will become a life long journey of philosophizing!
For teachers in Australian schools, the course is linked to the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the Proficient levels at Standard 6 (6.1,6.2).
- The course is fully accredited with the ACT TQI - completion gives you 2 hours of accredited Professional Learning. ACT participant completions are logged with the TQI at the end of each week.
- All other States - Completing the course will contribute 2 hours of PD addressing the standards as listed from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher registration in other States of Australia.
I am passionate about education. My philosophy of education is the belief that all students have the right and ability to learn, and it is the role as educators to promote not only learning, but a lifelong love of learning. This has been the foundation of my own practice. It guides my approach to my teaching, my research and my life.
I have been working in education since 1987. I have worked as a teacher (K-12), lecturer, teacher educator, professional development coordinator, education researcher, educational/instructional designer, education manager, small business owner, and as a private education consultant.
Want to know more - You can read more at www.KairosCT.com